March is definitely one of The OrganWise Guys’ favorite months because it’s National Nutrition Month. To keep the observance fresh, the Academy of Nutriton and Dietetics creates a theme each year and then promotes the adoption of healthy eating and physical activity habits! People tend to choose foods based on what tastes good, not necessarily what is healthiest, so this year, the theme, “Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right,” encourages people to focus on combining taste AND nutrition when creating meals that also follow the Dietary Guidelines recommendations.
Here are a few easy ways to incorporate this theme into your household this month and throughout the year:
- Make simple swaps – Find low-fat or alternative ingredients to swap out for healthier recipes. This doesn’t mean you have to lose taste, just lower calories and fat!
- Let the kids help – Bring the kids into the meal selection process and discuss the benefits of healthy eating. Challenge them to make the healthier choices for mealtime.
- Eat more family meals – Click here to read about the benefits of eating together and for ideas on how to successfully build family meal time into your busy schedules.
- Add some spice – Use herbs and spices , or even citrus to add lots of flavor without compromising the nutritional value of the dish.
- Expand your palate – Commit to introducing a new fruit or vegetable each week. You may never know what you end up enjoying!
Click here for more information on National Nutrition Month and a helpful toolkit with additional resources on how to “Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right.”