Easter is right around the corner and Passover ends on Tuesday, 4/2. These special celebrations are often accompanied with healthy dishes that are easy to make. Keep reading for some OrganWise-ified recipes below to add a healthy kick to your holiday celebrations…
Charoset (a traditional Passover dish made of nuts and apples)
4 apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup no sugar added apple-grape juice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon2 tbsp honey
- Mix apples and nuts together with cinnamon.
- Stir in honey and no sugar added juice until mixture is coated.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Makes 4 servings
Green Beans with Almonds (a popular Easter side dish, with almonds added to make it extra OrganWise!)
1 (16 ounce) package of frozen French-style green beans
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the green beans in a large pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- Drain the beans and let cool.
- Meanwhile, add extra virgin olive oil to a skillet and toast the almonds over medium heat, until golden brown (about 3 minutes).
- Toss green beans in the olive oil/almond mixture, add parsley and top with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings