In case you didn’t know, June 13th, 2015, is the 8th Annual National Get Outdoors Day! There are a number of “official” events being held to encourage active, outdoor fun for everyone, but if aren’t attending one of these official events, it would be a great idea to get creative with your own family and friends.
Here are five ways that you can get outdoors and celebrate:
- Visit a park – What a great way to be inspired by nature AND be active! Check out a walking trail or the playground for good family fun!
- Get your feet wet – Cool off by planning a day at the lake, beach, or pool and incorporate some fun family games in the early evening when it’s not so hot outside. There may be a sand volleyball court or even find a net and play some volleyball in the pool.
- Go on a hike – For some great exercise and family fun, head out early before it gets too hot and go for a hike! Use this as an opportunity to familiarize the kids with things in nature, too!
- Host a “mini-Olympics” – Grab some neighborhood friends and feature jump rope and hula hoop contests, sack races, and relay races. Finish up with some healthy snacks and an awards ceremony!
- Ride your bikes – Gather up the family for an evening bike ride after a healthy dinner! This is a great way to be active and enjoy time together!
Try one of these simple things to get outdoors and be active! You will enjoy the time spent together with friends and family and feel good that you have gotten in some physical activity and fresh air!
How do you plan to celebrate National Get Outdoors Day?