Is it back to school time for you yet? If your children bring packed lunches to school, be sure to provide them with healthy choices like fruits, veggies and whole grains. In August, summer squash is a Foods of the Month. Zucchini, a type of summer squash, is in peak season right now. This mild flavored veggie is ideal for children, providing your little ones with antioxidants to keep them healthy.
This recipe for crunchy veggie wraps is a quick and colorful option to include in your children’s lunch boxes. We think it’s a winner!
Crunchy Veggie Wraps
4 tablespoons low-fat, whipped cream cheese
2 whole wheat tortillas
1/4 cup broccoli, chopped
1/4 cup carrots, peeled and grated
1/4 cup zucchini, chopped
1/4 cup yellow summer squash, chopped
1/2 tomato, diced
2 tablespoons green bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons chives, cut into small pieces
- Wash all the vegetables then cut into small pieces.
- Place washed broccoli in a microwave-safe dish and add 1 tablespoon of water. Cover with a microwave-safe lid and heat on high power for 1 minute, or until the steam makes the broccoli soft. When steamed, drain broccoli of any excess water.
- Spread the cream cheese onto the whole wheat tortillas, staying one inch from edge. Sprinkle the chopped vegetables over cream cheese. Roll tortilla tightly.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill for 1-2 hours before serving (the wrap will hold its shape better when cold).
- Slice into circles with a sharp knife and serve.