Apples and winter squash are the two October Foods of the Month! Have you ever eaten apples and winter squash together before? The sweetness of apples and the savory flavory of winter squash makes a great pairing. We find this combination to be so delicious, in fact, that we have two ways this month for you to prepare these foods. The first one is a sweet dish. Adding a little bit of maple syrup and brown sugar (two yummy fall ingredients) bring out the sweetness of these two foods.
Squash Apple Casserole
2 1/2 cups winter squash, such as acorn, butternut or hubbard, chopped into 1 in. cubes
1 1/2 cups cooking apples, such as Macintosh, Granny Smith, Golden or Rome, chopped into 1 in. cubes
2 tbsp. walnuts, chopped
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
A sprinkle of brown sugar and or a drizzle of maple syrup (optional)
- Wash and prepare squash and apples (for extra fiber, keep peel on apples).
- Alternate layers of squash and apples in 8×8 inch pan.
- Sprinkle spices over top layer.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Remove from oven, toss with the walnuts when the mixture has cooled.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of brown sugar, and/or maple syrup for a bit of sweetness.
Makes 2 servings