This recipe for avocado pesto is full of good fats, which are an OrganWise Guys February Foods of the Month. The good fats in this recipe are avocados, walnuts, and extra virgin olive oil. When we eat foods like this avocado pesto that are full of good fats, we are giving our bodies lots of nutrition. Avocados alone are full of potassium (double the amount of a banana!), fiber, Vitamin B, and folic acid. Good fats, when eaten in moderation, also help to reduce the build up of LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) in our bodies and promote HDL cholesterol (the good kind). This can reduce our risk of heart disease, which is important to consider since February is also American Heart Month.
Try this instead of regular tomato sauce in your next pasta recipe. Jarred tomato sauces can actually be full of sugar! Mix it in with some whole grain pasta and chicken breast for a full meal.
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, pit removed
- Using a blender on high speed, blend all ingredients but the avocado.
- Once throughly mixed, add the avocado and blend again on high.
- Serve mixed with pasta and chicken, like the photo.
- The pesto will start to brown quickly because of the avocado so serve immediately or refrigerate.