The month of March plays host to National Nutrition Month. To keep this observance fresh each year, the Academy of Nutriton and Dietetics comes up with a new theme promoting the adoption of healthy eating and physical activity habits – of which we know The OrganWise Guys are huge fans! This year the theme “Bite Into a Healthy Lifestyle” encourages everyone to make healthy food choices, along with getting regular exercise in order to prevent chronic disease, maintain a healthy weight and really just to obtain overall better health.
Here are a few easy ways to incorporate this theme into your household this month and throughout the year:
- Commit to breakfast – Start out with the most important meal of the day for increased awareness and less chance of over-indulging later on in the day. You can track your progress with this worksheet.
- Make healthy swaps – Find low-fat or alternative ingredients to swap out for healthier recipes. This doesn’t mean you have to lose taste, just lower calories and fat!
- Eat more family meals – There are so many benefits of eating together as a family. Click here to see some ideas on how to incorporate family bonding into your meal time.
- Add some spice – Use herbs and spices, or even citrus to add lots of flavor without compromising the nutritional value of the dish.
- Get up and move – Whether it be walking the dog, or taking the stairs at work, find ways throughout your day to move! It is vital to keep your energy equation balanced!
Click here for more information on National Nutrition Month and a helpful toolkit with additional resources on how to “Bite into a Healthy Lifestyle.”