Did you know that Brussels sprouts are a type of cruciferous vegetable? Other cruciferous vegetables include broccoli and cauliflower and they also happen to be a January Foods of the Month! Cruciferous veggies have it all – vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other important compounds that keep our bodies healthy.
This week, we feature a simple recipe using cruciferous vegetables that is ready in just minutes because it requires no cooking. The result is a delicious, slaw-like dish that can be served as a salad. We love it!
Brussels Sprouts Salad
1 package fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced thinly (about 1 pound)
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste (we like lots of fresh pepper)
1/4 c. roasted almonds, chopped
4 oz. Manchego, shaved
- Toss the sliced Brussels sprouts, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes to blend all flavors.
- Meanwhile, roast 1/4 cup chopped almonds in the oven at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes, until they start to brown and become fragrant.
- Toss the chopped almonds into the Brussels sprout mixture.
- Serve with a topping of shaved Manchego cheese.