Brussels sprouts, a cruciferous vegetable, is a January Foods of the Month. This tasty veggie often gets a bad reputation as being non-kid friendly. To do away with that notion, try shredding them so they appear more like lettuce. This savory recipe looks more like a salad since the Brussels sprouts are cut into small pieces!
Brussels Sprouts with Turkey Bacon and Lemon
1 pound of fresh Brussels sprouts
5 slices of turkey bacon
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced (or 4 tsp. prepared, minced garlic)
Juice from one lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Thoroughly wash the Brussels sprouts, removing any loose outer leaves.
- Using a large sharp knife, finely chop the Brussels sprouts.
- Cut the turkey bacon into small pieces, then set aside.
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a deep pan on medium-high heat. Add the turkey bacon and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic and cook until it becomes golden, about 2 minutes.
- Finally, add the shredded Brussels sprouts, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until the Brussels sprouts are crisp, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, squeeze with the lemon, toss and serve!