In October, butternut squash is a Foods of the Month! Make this delicious pasta that uses a tasty mix of roasted butternut squash, low-fat ricotta cheese and nutmeg as a sauce in place of typical tomato sauce. The ultimate comfort food dinner!
Butternut Squash Pasta
1 box whole wheat pasta
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 onion, diced
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
1 lb. lean sausage
Parmesan cheese, for topping
For the butternut squash sauce
1 package cubed butternut squash, roasted (or use 1/2 of a roasted butternut squash)
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- First, make the butternut squash sauce. After roasting your butternut squash in the oven (for about 30 minutes ate 400 degrees), use a food processor to blend 2 cups of roasted butternut squash with the ricotta cheese, milk, salt and nutmeg. Mix very well, then set aside.
- Next, cook the pasta according to directions, drain it, return it to the pot, and then set aside.
- Using a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat on the stovetop. Add garlic and cook until browned. Next, add the onion, cover the skillet, and cook on low for about 10 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Add sausage to the pan, breaking it apart with your spatula while it cooks.
- When the sausage is cooked through (there will be no pink on the inside when you break it apart), add the spinach leaves and cook until they turn dark green and wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the sausage mixture to the pasta, along with the butternut squash puree. Toss together until ingredients are combined. Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!