Nestled among trendy retail stores at the Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley in Center Valley, sits a 6,700 square-foot, one-of-a-kind health and wellness store, called Capital Blue. Capital BlueCross was looking for an innovative way to make a difference and impact in the community with regards to health. The result being the Capital Blue store, which prides itself as being the nation’s first health insurance AND healthy living center. This new concept combines providing standard insurance services, with also offering a healthy experience for everyone in the community regardless of their coverage. The store opened its doors on December 15, 2012, where they held a festive grand opening that brought in nearly 800 people.
Capital BlueCross customers and non-customers are able to drop in to the store to utilize the variety of services that are available free of charge or for a low cost. Some of these unique services include:
- Educational Seminars – topics include raising healthy kids (The OrganWise Guys LOVE being involved in these!) food tastings, industry reforms, Medicare, healthy cooking and tailgating
- Kid’s Zone – offers Wii, Xbox Kinect and Ipads, each containing games and apps promoting wellness and physical activity, and OWG materials including books, DVDs, colorings books and the store’s mascot “Capi,” aka OrganWise Guy
- Biometrics Area* – measure height, weight, body fat and BMI
- Health Screenings* – check cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure
- Personal Health Assessment* – based on questions about health habits
- Complimentary Fitness Classes – basic yoga and boot camp
- Meet with a Customer Advocate – discuss claims, benefits, enrollment, pre-authorization, or simply have them guide you through the important steps you need to take for your next medical service
- Healthy Snack Bar – offers organic healthy snacks and smoothies in a relaxed setting that includes Wifi
- Insurance Area – purchase insurance and/or acquire general customer support
* Only available to Capital BlueCross customers
The Capital Blue store strives to nurture a healthy and happy community by offering the preventive tools necessary to live healthy lives. With the initial success, it looks to be a trendsetter in the industry. Capital BlueCross intends to eventually replicate this model around the region. In addition, they aspire to bring the OWG healthy messaging into the schools within the corresponding area and extend them the offer to attend OWG events at the store via field trips and free lunch/learns.
Tom Peluso, the store director, says that the most enjoyable thing about teaching with OWG is “that it empowers kids to become healthier and self-responsible, which in turn resonates with the parents to make changes and lead healthier lives.”
Click here to check out a local news story highlighting the store.
We love this concept and unique venue for health education and are just thrilled to be a part of it! We would love to hear your thoughts on this unique idea!