Healthy Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Recipe
Swap out the bread for cauliflower crust!
Although it doesn’t look like it, cauliflower is one of those foods that can be used as a substitute for so many things. We’ve made cauliflower pizza crust, there are recipes for cauliflower “fried rice”, cauliflower “mashed potatoes”, and more! The possibilities are endless. What about using cauliflower in place of bread in grilled cheese? When we heard about cauliflower grilled cheese, we had to try it! The result is delicious. And, by swapping out bread for cauliflower, you gain lots of nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin K, folate, pantothenic acid, and Vitamin B6.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 slices reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Use a box grater to finely grate one medium-sized cauliflower head.
- Microwave the grated cauliflower on high for two minutes, until it is hot.
- Transfer the cooled grated cauliflower to a dish towel and squeeze out all the excess water.
- Combine the grated cauliflower with the egg, mozzarella, parmesan and spices. Mix together with a fork or spoon, then use your hands to separate it into 4 equal sized parts. Place the 4 parts onto a baking sheet covered with piece of parchment paper sprayed with nonstick oil.
- Use your hand to flatten out each piece into a square shape (like a piece of bread).
- Bake for 20 minutes until the cauliflower bread slices are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and assemble the sandwiches using the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for another 5 minutes, until the cheese is gooey.
- Serve hot.