Corn is a July OrganWise Guys foods of the month and there’s no better time than the summer to enjoy the variety of ways that it can be eaten. In addition to some interesting facts and tips below, we are sharing some tasty recipes featuring this great summer food!
- The traditional name is “maize.”
- It is available in markets year-round, but the locally grown varieties purchased during the summer months taste the best and are usually the least expensive.
- It grows in “ears,” each of which is covered in rows of kernels that are protected by silk-like threads called “corn silk” and encased in a husk.
- It is a good source of many nutrients including thiamin (vitamin B1), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), folate, dietary fiber, vitamin C, phosphorus and manganese.
Our Favorite Healthy Recipes
- Summer Appetizers – Try corn with quinoa, white beans and basil, in a creamy, crunchy veggie dip, or in a black bean southwest salad before your healthy summer meal.
- Snack with Corn – Hosting a lighter fare event this summer? You can’t go wrong including corn into these tasty recipes including roasted kernels, bruschetta, black bean salsa, and healthy quesadillas.
- Sweet Corn Ideas – Here are some sweet ideas including a blueberry salad, a kale salad with peaches, and healthy homemade corn bread.
What are your favorite ways to eat corn this summer?