As a May Foods of the Month, eggs are a very versatile food. Be sure to check out our blog all month long to see how we are preparing eggs. To begin, we are sharing a tasty egg salad recipe with you. Step it up a notch and try making this egg salad sandwich open faced for a fun spin on this typical lunch:
Simple Egg Salad Sandwiches
4 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
1/2 cup spinach leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. mustard
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
4 (or 8) slices of whole grain sandwich bread
- Put the whole eggs in a pot of cold water and turn the stove to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Cool eggs promptly in cold water, then in refrigerator, so the eggs will be easy to shell.
- Remove the shells and chop the eggs finely.
- Mix the chopped egg, spinach, salt, mustard and low-fat mayonnaise together.
- Spread egg salad on 4 slices of bread.
- Optionally, you may top with another slice of bread.
Makes 4 servings