We’re over halfway through American Heart Month! If all of the information about having a healthy heart feels overwhelming for you then check out our five simple things that you can do TODAY to better your heart health.
- Eat a healthy breakfast: Oatmeal sprinkled with a handful of nuts, an egg white omlete with spinach and feta, a berry smoothie made with low-fat yogurt are just a few ideas. Eating a healthy breakfast keeps you from indulging in unhealthy snacks when you get hungry later in the morning.
- Add some physical activity to your day. Some days you’re just too busy to squeeze in a trip to gym, but that’s okay. Little things like parking further from the store, taking the stairs at work or taking a 10 minute stretch break can make a difference.
- Order your salad with olive oil instead of salad dressing. Olive oil is full of good fats which are important to your heart health.
- Read your labels. You might be shocked at the amount of sodium in some seemingly healthy foods.
- Snack wisely. Choose fruits and veggies as a healthy snack option.
Take some time this month to assess your family’s heart health and see what little changes you can implement each day.