It’s National School Lunch Week (NSLW) 2014!! This year’s theme is all about balancing the healthy foods served in your school’s cafeteria with physical activity.
Are you participating in NSWL festivities this year? If so, we’d love to hear what you are doing. If you need some last minute ideas, be sure to check out the School Nutrition Association’s (SNA) toolkit with lots of inspiration for making this year’s NSWL the best one ever. Click here to download your copy of the toolkit. Also, even though this week (October 13-17th) is the “official” week, we recommend being OrganWise and participate in fun activities to promote the consumption of school lunches every week. Some examples of fun things you can do this year include:
- Get students involved – Make kids part of the celebration by having them participate in a contest, complete a survey about their favorite lunch foods, etc.
- DECORATE! – SNA has items for NSLW available and if you have a Foods of the Month Kit, be sure to show off all your buttons and posters to promote healthy foods.
- Keep parents in the loop – Download the NSLW brochure from SNA and send home with students.
- Get the word out – Take to your school’s social media (facebook, twitter, etc) to promote NSLW. You can even share this blog post for awareness.
- Share your celebration – Take pictures, interview children and lunch staff, etc. Make this week a big celebration that you can share with your community.