Over the course of the past year we’ve had the incredible privilege of beginning to build a relationship with the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA). We’ve been so honored to have the opportunity to partner with this organization through some of their summer programs.
You may already be aware of some of the great services offered in your local community by the NRPA, but here are a few key facts that you might not know:
- Living close to parks and other recreation facilities is consistently related to higher physical activity levels for both adults and youth.
- On average, children who live in greener environments weigh less than children who live in less green areas.
- Children that have easy access to a playground are approximately five times more likely to have a healthy weight than children who do not have access to playgrounds.
July is National Park and Recreation Month and the 2012 theme is Get Wild! We want to encourage you to Get Wild this July with NRPA. Here are a few ideas:
- Map out your local parks and visit a new one each week.
- Gather a few families and plan a dinner in the park – bring picnics and let the kids play!
- Enter the Geocache Contest – find out more here.
- Do some research on local parks before you go on your family vacation. It’s a great way to see what green spaces in other cities are like.
Take a picture of your family at a local park and share it on our facebook wall all month long. We’ll choose our favorite and send the winner our brand new OWG In the House kit!