A staple recipe!
Do you ever find a recipe that you just LOVE and know will be part of your regular rotation? That is how we feel about this recipe for Greek Yogurt Mac and Cheese. It never would have occurred to us to put Greek yogurt in a cheese sauce, but now that we have tried it, it makes perfect sense! The Greek yogurt adds a good amount of protein to this dish. In February, we celebrate reduced-fat dairy as an OrganWise Guys Foods of the Month. Greek yogurt is considered reduced-fat dairy. And, so is the cheese found in this recipe!
What makes this recipe for Greek Yogurt Mac and Cheese special in our books? There are a few things. Using whole wheat pasta provides a good serving of whole grains and fiber. Every pasta dish is better with some added vegetables, we think. The broccoli provides some powerful antioxidants like Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and Vitamin B6. Broccoli is also a good source of calcium. Add in reduced-fat cheese and Greek yogurt and this is the perfect meal to keep your bones healthy!
The key to the tastiest cheese sauce is making it from scratch. This is called a roux. We used extra virgin olive oil (a good fat) instead of butter to keep this Greek Yogurt Mac and Cheese recipe a bit healthier.
Once you make this recipe one time and see how easy it is, you will be back for more. It’s the perfect kid-friendly dinner that can be on the table in a snap!
- 1 box whole grain pasta like elbows, bowties, or penne
- 1 10 oz. package frozen broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 cups reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (we like to shred our own but you can buy prepackaged)
- 3/4 cup low-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the pasta according to directions. After cooking for about 3 minutes, add the frozen broccoli florets. When pasta is al dente, drain and set aside.
- Use a saucepan on medium heat to make the cheese sauce. Add the olive oil. When it begins to heat up, add the flour and mix together until smooth. Next, add the milk and mix. Finally, add the shredded cheese and mix well until no lumps remain.
- Let the cheese sauce cool, then add the Greek yogurt. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cheese sauce to the pasta and broccoli and mix together until the pasta and broccoli are coated in cheese.
- Spray a small casserole dish or glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Add the pasta and top with panko breadcrumbs. Bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve hot.