What could taste more like summer than a recipe with grilled sweet corn, cherry tomatoes, avocado and red onion? This colorful Grilled Corn with Tomato and Avocado salad also packs a nutritional punch so you can feel great about eating it. The corn is full of fiber, the tomato provides Vitamin C and lycopene, and the avocado is filled with potassium and healthy good fats to keep you feeling full longer, which helps when it comes time for dessert!
Remember, when cooking with corn try to select fresh ears that are labeled “organic.” Or, consider stopping by your local farmer’s market to pick up fresh ears of corn. Although these ears may not be organic, they are from nearby farmers who may use less pesticide spray than larger farms. Because it can be costly to receive a USDA organic certification, these small farms are unable to afford the official logo. However, farmer’s markets are still a great way to shop for affordable, fresh produce that uses less chemicals than conventional options. Farmer’s markets are especially popular in the summer, when it’s high season for produce in many parts of the country. Use this tool from the USDA to find a nearby farmer’s market and get the ingredients for this yummy side salad!
- 2 fresh ears of corn, husked and grilled
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 avocado, diced into cubes
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- The juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Remove the husks and silk from the corn. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap each corn cob in tin foil and grill for about 15 minutes on medium high heat, checking to make sure that it doesn't burn.
- Remove corn from grill and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Cut the kernels off the cob and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onion, lime juice and salt and pepper to the bowl and mix all ingredients together.
- Refrigerate for one hour to allow the flavors to combine.
- Enjoy at your next summer party!