In November, lean meats like sirloin steak are a Foods of the Month. Try our recipe for healthy beef broccoli, made with healthy ingredients like sirloin steak, broccoli, and onion – everything that you love from your favorite Chinese restaurant take out! We perfected the recipe to get rid of the unhealthy and unnecessary added fats and sugars that can be found in restaurant meals and kept all the delicious flavors. Best of all, this dish can be prepared in under 30 minutes, making it the perfect weeknight meal that is also packed with nutrition. We know you will enjoy it.
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 lb. sirloin steak
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh broccoli
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- Boil 2 cups of water on the stovetop, add rice, cover the pot, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 15 minutes until the rice is puffy, then set aside.
- Next, pour the olive oil into a large skillet on medium-high heat. When it begins to sizzle, add the steak and cook for 5 minutes on each side, until it is cooked to your preference (we like well done for this recipe).
- Once steak is finished, remove from the pan and let cool on a cutting board.
- Using the same pan as the steak, add the sliced onions, reduce the heat to low, and cover. When the onions are tender (about 5 minutes), add the broccoli and cover again for 5 minutes, until the broccoli is bright green. Turn off the heat.
- Make the sauce by using a whisk to mix the soy sauce, brown sugar and ground ginger.
- Slice the steak, then add to the skillet with the vegetables.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetable mixture and mix all ingredients together.
- Serve over brown rice.
Make this healthy beef broccoli #recipe tonight for dinner! #whatsfordinner Click To Tweet