Did you know carbonara pasta is made with eggs? In May, eggs are a Foods of the Month so we are bringing you a healthy version of spaghetti carbonara for a quick and easy weeknight dinner!
Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara
1 package whole wheat spaghetti
4 eggs, plus 1 egg white
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
10 slices low-fat turkey bacon, cut into small pieces
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into very small pieces
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cups frozen peas
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the spaghetti according to directions.
- After 5 minutes of boiling, add the frozen peas and finish cooking (about 3 minutes). Drain pasta and peas and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet on medium high heat, add a splash of oil to the pan, then cook the turkey bacon.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the turkey bacon from the skillet and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, add the oil and cook the garlic until it begins to brown slightly.
- Next, add the cauliflower and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently until it starts to brown.
- When it’s finished cooking, remove from heat and combine cauliflower and turkey bacon with the spaghetti and peas.
- To make the carbonara sauce, mix the eggs with the parmesan cheese. Mix the sauce with the pasta while it is still hot, stirring very quickly to avoid cooking the egg.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!