This month, we are all about keeping things simple. With back-to-school season in full swing, weeknight meals need to be on the table in 30 minutes and the cleanup should be minimal. That’s why we love this recipe for Healthy Tomato Vodka Sauce.
Typically, vodka sauce is made with heavy cream which adds a lot of saturated fat. By swapping out the cream with some plain Greek yogurt and reduced-fat milk, the creamy texture remains without the unhealthiness. Best of all, this recipe calls for lots and lots of tomatoes, which are a September Foods of the Month! Bulk it up with more veggies by adding sautéed onions, peas or your favorite veggie. We keep it simple with the recipe below, but the possibilities are endless.
- 1 29 oz. can whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 regular tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced fat milk
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Fresh basil for topping
- Add the San Marzano tomatoes (juice drained) and the chopped tomato to a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside
- Using a skillet on medium high heat, add the olive oil and cook the minced garlic until it begins to brown. Add the blended tomatoes and mix together.
- Set the skillet to medium low and add the vodka.
- Let the flavors blend for about 10 minutes, until the alcohol flavor cooks off.
- Mix in the Greek yogurt and the reduced fat milk and stir well to combine. Let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the ground nutmeg and basil. Serve with whole grain pasta and your favorite veggies.