It’s hard to believe it’s the start of a new year. Whether we like it or not, 2014 is here to stay, so let’s embrace it! With the new year comes resolutions typically including joining the gym, trying out the new fad diet, or stopping other personal vices. Many resolutions are unkept because too many are made, or they are too ambitious they cannot be adhered to after the first week. So, make this the year to commit to small lifestyle changes that will have a big impact in the long run.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Eat breakfast – This seems simple, right? Many people think skipping this all-important meal will help in weight loss goals, however, getting your day started with a healthy breakfast is the best thing for you!
- Ease into exercise – Start out with smaller goals such as taking a walk after dinner, or a quick run with the dog before or after work and then work up to more intense exercise sessions.
- Find a workout partner – It is easier to stay committed when you have someone keeping you accountable. If you know your best friend is going to be waiting for you at the gym, you are more likely to go!
- Cook with simple swaps – Try healthier versions of your favorite dishes by substituting lower-fat alternatives! Turkey sausage, low-fat cheese, and greek yogurt are a few examples of some tasty swaps!
- Engage with family – There is nothing better than spending quality time with family except for fitting in physical activity while bonding! Take a family walk or weekend hike and you will see how good it feels for the entire family to be healthy!
Remember, these small things will make a big difference, so make sure and start out 2014 right!
What resolutions do you hope to accomplish this year?