We love a good muffin or slice of a savory bread loaf for breakfast. What we don’t love so much is all the fat and sugar that these tasty treats can have if we buy them prepackaged. Making your own versions not only helps to make them healthier, but it’s a really fun project that can involve the whole family AND it fills your home with wonderful scents of freshly baked goods.
This recipe for nutty banana bread is a perfect way to get your fix of baked goods while also having plenty of healthy benefits like good fats, fiber and potassium. Gather the ingredients for this recipe, then involve everyone in the baking process this weekend!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. apple sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 mashed bananas, cut into small rounds
- 3 tbsp. pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, oats, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder) in a large bowl.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, add the wet ingredients (apple sauce, honey, eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas) to a bowl and mix on medium low until it creates a smooth consistency and is mixed well.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix again on low until combined.
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper and pour in the mixture, then sprinkle the top with pecans.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. The bread is finished when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the bread cool for 10 minutes. Serve hot or store for up to 4 days.