A Healthy Orange Breakfast Pie…
Did you know that you could eat pie for breakfast? This easy Orange Breakfast Pie is a great option to make the night before you have guests for breakfast. The best part is that it only looks complicated; it should not take more than 30 minutes of “hands on” time to make.
This Orange Breakfast Pie crust is made with nuts instead of pastry dough so it provides a serving of protein and good fats. The pie filling is made with healthy ingredients like cottage cheese and the juice and zest from oranges. Thanks to the orange (a citrus fruit) it is also packed with Vitamin C. We love the subtle citrus flavor of the filling combined with the nutty flavor of the crust. We think it is the perfect compliment to coffee for adults. Kids can have it with a glass of milk instead. The best part of this recipe though is that it is nutritious!
- 1 cup raw cashews, ground
- 3 tbsp. flour (we used gluten free)
- 2 tbsp. almond butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil, softened
- Salt, to taste
- 1 egg white (save the yolk for the filling!)
- 3/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup Honey
- The juice from 2 oranges (about 1/4 cup)
- The zest of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp. flour (we used gluten free)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extra
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line the inside of a 8 inch cake pan with tin foil. Spray well with nonstick spray.
- Use a food processor to grind up the cashews so they are chunky, not finely processed. Set aside.
- Add the flour to the nuts, then add the rest of the ingredients for the crust, except the egg white. Using your hands, mix the ingredients until they are combined.
- Add the egg white and continue using your hands to mix until the mixture loses its stickiness.
- Transfer the dough into the cake pan and press up the sides and bottom until it is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Let the crust cool while making your filling and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Use your food processor again to add in all the ingredients for the filling. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust, transfer to the oven, and bake until the filling just begins to rise, about 35 minutes.
- Let cool completely at room temperature and then refrigerate overnight.