The Ultimate Healthy Birthday Cake
What can we say about this recipe… it is pretty much THE BEST healthy birthday cake recipe that we’ve ever tried! Make this Orange Chocolate Cake with Avocado Frosting for someone that you really care about. In fact, we made it for Dr. Michelle Lombardo (The OrganWise Guys President) since it was her birthday last week. If you didn’t see the video of our review, check it out on our Facebook page.
Citrus fruits like oranges are a December Foods of the Month. While it can be difficult to incorporate these fruits into a main dish, they make for excellent flavoring when using the fresh juice and zest. We never thought that we’d be baking with oranges, but once we saw this recipe we were sold. We love the combination of sweet orange and decadent dark chocolate.
This Orange Chocolate Cake with Avocado Frosting recipe uses healthy ingredients that are not normally in cakes. Save an hour of free time to make this cake. It takes some time but trust us, it is worth it!
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 cup flour (we use gluten free)
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup polenta (found in the rice aisle)
- 3 cup dates, pitted
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 oranges, juiced and zested
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray two round 8 inch cake pans with nonstick spray.
- Mix the flour, ground almonds, polenta, cocoa, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Use a fork to break up the polenta.
- Add the dates to a food processor plus a splash of milk (if needed) and blend until a paste is formed.
- Mix together the date paste with the milk, coconut oil, eggs, orange juice/zest. Slowly add it to the flour mixture and mix all ingredients until the batter is smooth.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to fully cool before frosting.
- To make the avocado frosting, add the avocados to a food processor and blend until no chunks remain. Add the remaining ingredients and process on high until the frosting is dark brown and blended well.
- To frost the cake, frost the top of one, add the second cake on top, and use a knife to spread the frosting all over the cake. This avocado frosting is less thick that typical frosting so it will spread easily. Top with additional orange zest (if you like) and serve within one day.