Salsas provide an opportunity to get your daily requirements of vegetables in during a party. Choose salsas that are full of fresh vegetables and avoid ones that are cheese-based. Check out our recipe for a healthy and tasty salsa dip that goes great with baked pita chips!
Simple Corn Salsa
2 chopped tomatoes or 1 can chopped tomatoes (drained)
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil1 cup fresh corn kernels (or 1 small can, drained)
1/8 tsp. sugar
4 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves (or 2 tbsp. dried cilantro)
1 jalapeño pepper, or to taste (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add corn and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add vinegar and cook for 1 more minute.
- Transfer the corn into a small bowl and cool slightly. Stir in the tomatoes, onion, cilantro and jalapeño pepper.
- Serve with baked pita chips or as a side dish. Salsa can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.