When the temperature drops in the fall, hearty meals like roasted veggies and lean meats are the perfect way to satisfy our stomachs. This month, lean meats are a Foods of the Month! In this recipe, we use a whole chicken; choose the breast of the chicken for the leanest meat possible and be sure to remove the skin before you eat it.Roasting chicken and vegetables is a super easy way to make a quick dinner. This tasty recipe only takes about 20 minutes of preparation time, so you don’t have to spend all evening in the kitchen!
4 sliced potatoes
6 sliced carrots
1 large quartered onion
1 raw chicken – cleaned and cut into pieces, skin removed
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place potatoes, carrots and onions in a large roasting pan.
- Put chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
- Mix water, thyme and pepper. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Spoon juices over chicken once or twice during cooking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for one hour or more until browned and tender.