In September, whole grains and tomatoes are the Foods of the Month. We think these roasted tomatoes make the perfect, yet filling, afterschool snack or healthy appetizer before dinner. You could also serve them with a whole wheat grilled cheese made with reduced-fat cheddar cheese for the ultimate Foods of the Month meal!
Roasted Tomatoes with Herbs
6 tomatoes, washed
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
Non-stick cooking oil spray, as needed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut each tomato in half. Place tomatoes on the sheet, cut side up.
- Drizzle tomatoes with 1⁄2 of the oil and season with pepper.
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until tomatoes are beginning to brown on the bottom.
- Mix the remaining oil, parsley, garlic, and cheese in a small bowl.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven and sprinkle the herb mixture over them.
- Return to oven for another 10 minutes, or until spices begin to brown.
Makes 6 servings