Super Bowl Sunday is this Weekend!
What are you going to make? Our stomachs have been growling seeing the abundance of delicious treats all over the internet that can be served for the big day. Did you know that Super Bowl Sunday is only second to Thanksgiving for the most food consumed in a day? This recipe for lightened-up seven layer dip is sure to be a hit! Best of all, it includes two of The OrganWise Guys Foods of the Month – good fats (avocado) and low-fat dairy! (low-fat Greek yogurt)
Keep it Healthy.
Be sure to pick healthy appetizers and snacks for your viewing party like this lightened-up seven layer dip. By using ground turkey, switching out sour cream for Greek yogurt, and adding an extra layer of yummy veggies, we think this dip is a winner that everyone will enjoy!
- 3/4 lb. lean ground turkey
- 2 tbsp. low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 15 oz. can vegetarian refried beans (or make your own*!)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 jar tomato salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 package guacamole
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- Green onions, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the ground turkey using a skillet on medium high heat until no pink remains, about 10 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning and set aside.
- Using a small rectangular baking dish, begin to layer your dip. Start with a layer of the refried beans. Next, add the turkey, then the chopped red pepper, then the salsa, then the cheese. Bake for 25 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove dip from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Then, spread an even layer of the guacamole on top, followed by the sour cream, extra cheese, and green onions. Return to the oven and broil for 5 minutes until the top cheese begins to bubble.
- Serve with veggies and whole grain tortilla chips.
- *Make your own refried beans with the recipe here: http://blog.organwiseguys.com/homemade-refried-beans/