A new sandwich idea…
Are you in a deli meat lunch rut? If your daily turkey and cheese sandwich habit is getting boring, try having eggs for lunch! Typically a breakfast food, eggs are also an excellent idea for lunch. In May, eggs are a Foods of the Month. We will showcase two different ways to have eggs for lunch this month. First up is this Simple Egg Sandwich recipe. They key for having eggs at lunch? Hard boil them! When hard boiled, eggs feel more like a lunch food and make for a tasty and nutritious sandwich base.
What are the health benefits of eggs? To start, eggs are packed full of protein. One egg has 12% of the daily recommended amount of protein. They are a great way to add more protein to your diet, especially if you are a vegetarian. If you can, choose eggs with added omega 3 fatty acids. You can easily find these eggs at the supermarket, just look for “omega 3” on the label. Omega 3 eggs taste just like regular eggs. The only difference is that the hens who laid these eggs have been given a diet with flaxseeds. The omega 3’s in the flaxseeds are then transferred to the egg yolk, so when we eat them we can get the health benefits.
When making this Simple Egg Sandwich recipe, consider hard boiling up a batch of eggs in advance, since that is the most time consuming part of this recipe. You can store hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator and simply peel off the shell and slice them when you are ready to assemble your sandwich.
- 2 slices whole grain toast
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tomato slices
- 1 chive or green onion, chopped
- 5 fresh spinach leaves (optional)
- 1 slice reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To hard boil the eggs, use a small pot to boil just enough water to cover the eggs. Carefully (we use a spoon) add the eggs to the boiling water and cook for 12 minutes. Let cool then peel.
- Slice the eggs into thin slices, then top one piece of toast with them.
- Add the tomato slices, chive, spinach and cheese on top of the egg. Season with salt and pepper then top with the other piece of toast to complete the sandwich.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!