Tomatoes are in season in September so we bet you need ideas for what to do with all those fresh, delicious, vine-ripened tomatoes. We love this recipe for a Simple Margherita Pizza because it really highlights the flavor of these star vegetables. Tomatoes are a naturally low-fat, high-fiber vegetable that is a great source of Vitamins A and C. By keeping this recipe simple, it will appeal to picky eater’s taste buds. And, who doesn’t love pizza?!
For a delicious twist and a way to get restaurant worthy crust, grill your pizza instead of baking it. You need a pizza stone and a pizza peel (it looks like a giant spatula) in order to grill like we did in this recipe. The result is a crunchy, thin crust pizza that will be a family hit.
- 1 bag premade whole wheat pizza dough (from the bakery section of your grocery store)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, sliced thin
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- Fresh basil, torn into pieces (optional)
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the grill with the pizza stone on it to 700 degrees.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pizza dough to your preferred shape and size. Sprinkle flour on the pizza peel, and carefully transfer the dough to it. Move the peel around to make sure the dough is not sticking. If it is, add more flour.
- Assemble your pizza starting with the tomato sauce, then the tomato and mozzarella. Add the basil on top and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Transfer the pizza from the pizza peel to the stone (it should slide off). Cover and cook for 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the grill. Let cool for 10 minutes then serve.