One of the many things that we love about Mexican food is that there are loads of ways to use peppers, a June Foods of the Month, in recipes! This slow cooker fajitas recipe is amazing for two reasons. The first is that it is absolutely delicious. You can eat it in a bowl with your favorite low-fat Mexican toppings, or roll up the ingredients in a whole grain tortilla and enjoy. The second is that is could not be any easier to make. Follow these 10 minute directions, wait for your house to fill with a delicious smell of the chicken and veggies cooking, then enjoy this healthy meal for your next dinner.
Slow Cooker Fajitas
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 peppers (red, green, or yellow) sliced into thin slices
1 yellow onion, diced
1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning
- Add the sliced peppers and chopped onion to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the low-sodium taco seasoning packet on top of the chicken and the veggies.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- 1 hour before serving, use a fork to shred the chicken, then continue cooking.
- Enjoy with your favorite Mexican toppings like guacamole, pico de gallo, low-fat shredded cheese, low-fat sour cream and whole grain tortillas.