There’s nothing better than a quick and nutritious weeknight meal. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut with the same recipes week after week. We loved trying this new recipe, which includes lots of ingredients (chicken, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese) that we already use every week. This recipe is a whole new meal though when you add sliced zucchini (an August Foods of the Month) and cook the ingredients a little differently. Try it out for yourself; you won’t be disappointed!
Skillet Zucchini and Chicken
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 24 oz. jar tomato sauce
2 medium sized zucchini, sliced thin
1 8 oz. fresh mozzarella ball, sliced thin
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Use a large skillet on medium heat to cook the chicken breast in olive oil.
- When chicken is done cooking (about 5 minutes on each side), pour tomato sauce into the skillet with the chicken and cook on low for 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend.
- Arrange zucchini and mozzarella over the chicken and tomato sauce. Cover and cook on low for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat when the zucchini is tender and the mozzarella is fully melted.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with whole wheat pasta or enjoy by itself!
You may also like these healthy zucchini ideas, including zucchini tacos, baked zucchini chips, zucchini tartine, and mini zucchinni pizzas.