Yellow squash and zucchini are both summer squash, an August Foods of the Month. Summer squash has a delicate, light flavor making them the perfect side dish to your summer dinners. The bright colors mean that summer squash is full of an OrganWise Guys favorite – antioxidants! Our summer squash casserole takes only minutes to make and serves the entire family. To create the dish, follow these steps:
- Slice 2 zucchinis, 3 yellow squashes, 1 russet potato and 2 vine ripe tomatoes into very thin coins. Our mandolin makes this really easy, but if you don’t have one that’s okay.
- Next, heat extra-virgin olive oil on the stovetop over medium-high heat and add sliced onions. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add garlic and sauté until browned.
- Pour onion/garlic mixture into an 8 x 8 baking pan. Add a little more olive oil.
- Arrange your veggies in a fun pattern in the baking dish. Top with salt, pepper, and your favorite herbs.
- Cover with foil and roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, until the veggies soften and starting to brown at the top.
- Remove pan from oven, sprinkle the veggies with low-fat cheese, and broil for about 3 more minutes. Enjoy this dish right from the oven!