Summer squash is an August OrganWise Guys foods of the month and probably one of the more unique vegetables in the variety of ways that it can be eaten. In addition to some interesting facts and tips below, we are sharing some tasty recipes featuring this great “summer” food!
- “Summer” squash are in season during the summer months (hence the name!), with August being its peak growing time
- Zucchini, yellow squash and scallop squash are different types
- Summer and Winter squash belong to the same plant family, however can eat the outside (rind) of summer squash, but not winter squash because it has a very hard, thick rind
- Mexico, New Zealand, China and India are some countries that grow it
- In the United States, Florida, California, Georgia and New York are top producers
Our Favorite Healthy Recipes
- Summer Squash Casserole – Try this simple casserole as a tasty side to any main dish this summer! Remember, August is when it is most ripe!
- Healthy Zucchini Ideas – If zucchini is more your thing, try these tacos, mini pizzas, baked chips or zucchini tartine.
- Crunchy Veggie Wraps – This colorful and flavorful lunch idea includes both yellow squash and zucchini. Yum!
Lastly, watch as Peri Stolic and Pepto share their squash sentiments:
What are your favorite ways to eat summer squash?