Everyone knows that you should eat a well-balanced breakfast to keep your OrganWise Guys healthy. What better way to start breakfast than with a full serving of vegetables? We love frittatas and other egg dishes for breakfast because you can add lots of healthy veggies. The combo of healthy fat from eggs and fiber from vegetables will keep you full all morning long. Try this healthy and mouthwatering summer squash frittata in August when summer squash is a Foods of the Month!
Summer Squash Frittata
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 small yellow squash, sliced thin
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. skim milk
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a small nonstick frying pan, cook olive oil over medium heat, until it begins to sizzle. Add onions, then turn the heat to low. Cover them and cook for 15-20 minutes, until they turn brown and are caramelized.
- Add the sliced yellow squash and cook for an additional 10 minutes on low, until the squash becomes soft.
- Crack the 4 eggs in a bowl and whisk together until the white and the yolk are combined. Add milk and stir together with the eggs.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet with the onions and squash and mix gently so the ingredients are combined.
- Let the eggs cook on the stovetop for about 10 minutes until they begin to set on the top. Sprinkle with dried thyme, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the entire pan to the oven and cook for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees until the top of the frittata is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy! (it goes great with these peach blueberry muffins for brunch!).