Make these sweet potato nachos for your Super Bowl party tomorrow! The great thing about these sweet potato nachos is that you use baked sweet potato chips for your base instead of regular tortilla chips. By trading in sweet potatoes, you get a healthy serving of Vitamin A and much less fat thanks to baking the chips. Add healthy toppings like black beans, avocado, salsa, etc. and you have yourself the perfect party dish!
These sweet potato nachos are also a lot of fun to make with the whole family. Make sure that an adult cuts the sweet potatoes, but kids can lend their hands in piling on the toppings. We know this recipe will be a hit!
Tip: if the sweet potatoes are too difficult to cut with a knife, boil them whole for a few minutes to soften.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle of Salt
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup low-fat cheese (pepper jack or cheddar)
- See notes below for optional toppings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch rounds using a mandolin or a sharp knife.
- Toss them in olive oil and salt, then arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until the rounds are firm and crispy.
- Remove from oven, then top with black beans and cheese. Heat again for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Transfer to a plate, top with your favorite toppings, and serve.
- Optional toppings include sliced avocado, low-fat sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro.