Sweet potatoes are truly a treat. They make for an excellent addition to all sorts of baked goods like muffins, breads and pancakes. Did you know that sweet potatoes can be in savory dishes too? When combined with the right flavors, a sweet potato becomes less “sweet” and is the perfect binding ingredient in these Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers.
Sweet potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse! One cup of cooked sweet potato has more than 350% of your daily Vitamin A needs. They are also full of fiber and low in fat. When you combine them with the cannellini beans and avocado in this recipe, you are also getting protein and good fats. This meal is the perfect combination of nutrition and makes for a delicious weeknight treat! Simply make the sweet potato “batter” and cook them up on the grill or stove top.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, washed and rinsed
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. onion flakes
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 avocado, sliced thin
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Use a fork to poke holes in the sweet potatoes, cover with a paper towel, and microwave for 10 minutes or until they become soft. Let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes have cooled, slice them open and scoop out the insides into a large mixing bowl. Add the cannellini beans, then use a potato masher or two forks to mash the beans with the potatoes (forming a smooth mixture).
- Next, add the panko, flour, egg and spices and mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Use your hands to form 4 equal sized patties.
- Cook the patties on the grill for 5 minutes on each side, or on the stovetop in a nonstick pan on medium heat, until heated through and the sides are slightly crispy.
- Transfer to the buns and top with sliced avocado. Enjoy!
- Add a little bit of garlic aoli or mayonnaise for more flavor!