A festive and healthy dessert!
Happy Valentine’s Day! In honor of this holiday that celebrates all things love, we want to share with you a heart-healthy, body friendly dessert option. This may look decadent, but it’s incredibly healthy thanks to some tips from vegan cooking. Have you ever tried to cook vegan before? This Vegan Valentine’s Dessert is the perfect way to start if you are a newbie.
The photo of this dessert looks like cream, refined sugar, eggs and flour, right? Guess what? There is none of that in this recipe! Instead, this Vegan Valentine’s Dessert is made mostly with nuts and dates. We use almonds, cashews, coconut oil, coconut milk, dates, and a few other small ingredients in this recipe. That’s all! The beautiful pink color is not because of food coloring… it’s strawberry! Read below for this delicious and healthy Vegan Valentine’s Dessert recipe. You will love it.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup plain almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tbsp. hot water
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in a bowl of boiling water for 1 hour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk (including the cream from the top
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup frozen or fresh strawberries, chopped
- Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Using a food processor, process together the dates, almonds, coconut flakes and water. It should form a thick, sticky mixture that will be the "crust" for this dessert.
- Once combined, transfer the crust to the loaf pan. Spread it (using a spoon on your fingers) in an even layer over the bottom of the bread pan. Refrigerate while you make your filling.
- Next, make your filling. Using the food processor again, process together the cashews, coconut oil, honey, lemon and coconut milk. Process until a smooth, creamy mixture is formed. Add the vanilla and process again.
- Remove the crust from the fridge, then pour half of the filling mixture over the crust (leave the rest in the food processor, you will use it later). Sprinkle 3/4 cup of the chopped strawberries over the mixture. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Use the second half of the filling mixture to make the third, pink layer. Process together the mixture with the remaining 3/4 cup strawberries until it is pink. Remove dessert from freezer and pour the rest of the pink filling over the second layer.
- Freeze for 3 hours. Remove, cut into slices and drizzle with melted dark chocolate. Enjoy!
Store this dessert in the freezer. It will melt like ice cream!