Apples are an October Foods of the Month! Two weeks ago, we made these healthy apple cookies. This week, we are featuring another dessert-type of apple dish that is also nutritious! This whole wheat apple bread will make your kitchen smell like a delicious mix of apples and cinnamon. Because no butter or sugar is used, you can also feel good about eating it. Have a slice for breakfast, or a small slice for dessert. We know your OrganWise Guys will love it!
Whole Wheat Apple Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup low-fat milk
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 cup apple rings (can be found in the nut aisle of your grocery store)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bread pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices).
- In a larger bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (milk, egg, applesauce, honey and maple syrup) until blended well. Add dry ingredients until the mixture is combined. Fold in the apple rings.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan. Bake in the oven for one hour, until cooked through. You can test this by sticking a toothpick in the center and making sure that it comes out clean.
- Allow bread to cool and serve. Enjoy!