A Sweet Valentine’s Day Treat
Whole wheat cinnamon rolls… just in time for your Valentine’s Day breakfast this weekend! We make them much more adorable and appropriate for the holiday by shaping them into hearts and adding some red berries and white coconut flakes for festive colors.
Did you know that store bought cinnamon rolls can have a days worth of sugar and saturated fat in them? Not only are these rolls super-sized when you buy them in stores, they can also be harmful to our health if eaten regularly. Our recipe for whole wheat cinnamon rolls are a much healthier take on ones that come prepackaged or are sold in restaurants. Can you believe that we use use no butter and no sugar in our recipe?! Thanks to the cinnamon and the walnut these cute little breakfast rolls are full of flavor, fiber, and good fats.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. chopped walnuts
- Strawberries and toasted coconut flakes, for garnish
- Mix together all the wet ingredients (egg, milk, honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract). Add the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt) and stir well to combine everything.
- Once your dough is formed, transfer it to a large sheet of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper over it, and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a flat, square shape.
- Remove the top layer of parchment paper and sprinkle your dough with the cinnamon and walnuts.
- Now, carefully roll your dough into a log, using the parchment paper to help you. Place it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to let the ingredients set (this will also help you to cut the dough better in the next step).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and remove dough from the refrigerator.
- Use a sharp knife to cute the log into 8 equal circles.
- After they have been cut, take each circle and pinch the bottom so it make a point and make an indent at the top so it forms the shape of a heart.
- Use a nonstick circular cake pan to arrange the rolls together.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove, let cool, then top with strawberries and toasted coconut flakes. Enjoy!