Whole grains are the perfect breakfast food. Whole grains come in many different formats. If you plan on baking with them, it’s a great idea to have staples like whole wheat flour and oats in your pantry. These are two of the main ingredients in this recipe for Whole Wheat Muffins with Oatmeal and Dark Chocolate Chips.
The chocolate chips make this recipe kid friendly, so much so that these muffins taste like dessert! However, the whole wheat flour keeps them healthy and will make you feel full for a long time. An important note about whole wheat flour – it can spoil faster than white flour because it has germ oil in it. You will usually know if your whole wheat flour is spoiled because it will have a strong odor to it. Fresh flour should not have a scent. To ensure the longest shelf life possible, store your whole wheat flour in a dark pantry in a container that is tightly sealed.
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray or use cupcake liners.
- Using a mixer, blend together the wet ingredients (milk, egg, and coconut oil).
- Using another mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix (brown sugar, oats flour, baking powder and salt).
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Lastly, add the chocolate chips and mix until they are evenly distributed in the batter.
- Distribute the mixture evenly into the muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve hot or store for up to 3 days.