July 31st is National Avocado Day so celebrate this delicious food that is full of good fats. The creamy texture of avocados make them decadent and versatile, all while being healthy too! (more…)
Muffins are a great weekend treat for family breakfast. Here’s a healthy idea for blueberry ones since it’s National Blueberry Month! (more…)
We know that it’s important for all of us – including our kids – to drink plenty of water every day. It’s even more important during these hot summer months! (more…)
Healthy, fresh eggs can be right outside your door!
Did you know that raising your own chickens is cheaper and easier than you might think? Of course, as cute as those baby chicks are, most people don’t raise chickens as pets. After about 4 months of raising them, delicious and fresh eggs start to show up! So what are some of the benefits of farm-/backyard-fresh eggs? (more…)
Halloween is fast approaching and let’s face it … this day can be a nightmare for any family trying to make healthy choices! The good news is, a little planning and foresight can take the fright out of the night. So try on these Halloween hints for size!
Here are a few Halloween hints to make your day safe and healthy!
- Decide in advance what to do with the loot! A piece of candy isn’t a bad thing but a sugar coma from eating half a bag of candy is! How will you divvy up the goods? The danger isn’t just for the kids; it’s really easy for us adults to help ourselves to those treats as well.
- Go Trick or Treating. Sure, you’re filling your bag with candy but you’re also out walking the neighborhood. Map out your streets and take the whole family out for an hour or so. Challenge yourselves to walk a certain number of miles while you’re out!
- Make sure you wear reflective clothing or have flashlights on your family. Kids are excited and drivers are distracted, so do you best to make yourself visible.
- Remember it’s a school night! Start early enough that your kids still get a good night’s sleep and limit their sugar intake. Your child’s teacher will thank you!
- Lead by example. Find fun and healthy treats to give away at your house. We got some great ideas via facebook; from small bags of microwave popcorn, small boxes of whole grain cereal, fruit snacks, stickers and more! You’ll be glad when you don’t have left over candy lying around to tempt you too!
If you have any other Halloween hints, we’d love to hear them! Feel free to share on our facebook page!