Two Foods of the Month in one recipe!
We are back with part two of our egg sandwich lunch ideas! Last week, we featured a Simple Egg Sandwich recipe. This week, we have a two for one special. This recipe for Egg Salad with Spinach features both of our May Foods of the Month, eggs and spinach! This yummy recipe can be made using the same hard boiled eggs that you made last week. If you cooked them up in bulk, you will have plenty to supply this Egg Salad with Spinach recipe.
The combination of egg and spinach is usually found in breakfast foods like omelets. But, since spinach is a powerhouse of nutrients, we think that it should be added to dishes whenever possible. Thanks to the spinach in this recipe, you get a good serving of Vitamin A as well as some fiber. Also, don’t you think that the green color makes this recipe extra beautiful? We do! Spinach and eggs really do go together so well. We always have a container of fresh baby spinach leaves in our kitchen to throw into recipes like this Egg Salad with Spinach sandwich, as well as other sandwiches and salads. In addition to the nutritional benefits of spinach, these fresh leaves also add a nice crunch to any meal.
- 2 slices of whole grain toast
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- A large handful of spinach
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To hard boil the eggs, use a small pot to boil just enough water to cover the eggs. Carefully (we use a spoon) add the eggs to the boiling water and cook for 12 minutes. Let cool then peel.
- Use a mixing bowl and spoon to mix together the spinach, mustard, mayonnaise and salt and pepper. Add the whole hard boiled eggs, and use the same spoon to break them up inside the spinach mixture (they will be soft enough that a spoon can easy break them). Mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to each piece of toast and enjoy open faced like the photo or eat like a regular sandwich. Enjoy!