During this time of year, time seems to accelerate as we head towards the holidays. In fact, just today I was in a store where I saw a complete display of Christmas decorations! I couldn’t help but think to myself that it seemed awfully early to be thinking about Christmas, when in my brain school has just started and we are only beginning to discuss what we are going to be dressing up as for Halloween!
It made me realize that it is even more important during this busy time of the year to ensure we are spending quality time with our friends and families. So, here are some fun ideas (well, fun to me and my family!) to try with your loved ones during this fall season:
- Watch seasonal sporting events – Whether it be soccer, hockey, or your local high school or collegiate football team, grab your scarves and blankets to cozy up together on the bleachers!
- Attend local Fall festivals – These are typically very family-friendly packed with plenty of food, games, prizes, and fun to be had by all!
- Go to a haunted house – Even if you have some scaredy cats, this can be a good bonding experience!
- Visit a pumpkin patch – Let the kids select their favorite pumpkins, carve them (adults, I am talking to you) in front of the cozy fireplace and cook those yummy pumpkin seeds. You can even change it up and have the kids paint the pumpkins or decorate them with some sparkly glitter!
- Collect colorful leaves – Rake leaves into piles and let the kids jump in them. They can also help out with the raking as that definitely counts as physical activity! Let them select some of their favorite leaves and use them later for a fall craft. (I recommend using Pinterest for crafty ideas!)
- Bake festive treats – Stir up some hot apple cider while baking a tasty (and yes it can be healthy, too!) pumpkin or apple dessert. Make sure to let the kids help with the food prep!
- Family movie night – Fix some healthy snacks (this OrganWise-ified popcorn is a good one!) and gather around the couch for a scary movie marathon!
So, what are some of your favorite things to do during this time of year?